Reports to: Vice President for Development
Riverkeeper is a member-supported watchdog organization dedicated to defending the Hudson River and its tributaries and protecting the drinking water supply of nine million New York City and Hudson Valley residents.
The Membership Manager is a full-time member of the Development team reporting to the Vice President for Development. S/he will support the organization in strengthening its relationship with our 5,000 current donors while focusing on new and innovative strategies to retain, upgrade and acquire new members. The Membership Manager is responsible for developing and implementing strategies to achieve Riverkeeper’s annual and long-term goals, including targets for revenue and membership numbers.
Specifically, the Membership Manager is responsible chiefly for the following:
1.Managing direct mail and integrated online solicitations;
2.Building a portfolio of member relationships;
3.Developing processes and analysis to assist in the retention, cultivation and stewardship of current members and increase new members;
4.Writing and managing all member communications with the Communications team, including the Annual Journal, newsletters, e-bulletins and other promotional pieces;
5.Developing and executing membership events as needed.
The Membership Manager works collaboratively with a variety of other staff members and departments, and may be given management responsibilities for other Riverkeeper staff, including the Membership Services Manager and the Outreach and Communications Assistant.
Duties and responsibilities:
1. Manages Riverkeeper’s direct mail fundraising program.
- maintains a calendar of mailings of approximately 20 mailings per year;
- meets revenue targets for membership program;
- develop mailings to meet varied goals, including acquisition, retention, renewal, sustainer giving, multi-year giving, and cultivation;
- write and edit all direct mail packages;
- refine and maintain tracking systems to collect and analyze data on membership activity.
- assist the Membership Services Manager in creation of mailing lists;
- integrate online and social media solicitations;
- report monthly on membership and fundraising efforts.
2. Cultivates members/donors
- Maintain an active portfolio of donors and plan regular email, phone call and in-person meetings, and event invitations, to ensure optimal stewardship and cultivation;
- develop strategies for acknowledging new donors and others in coordination with VP for Development;
- regularly develop lists of cultivation targets, lapsed donors and other prospective members, in consultation with other members of the Development team;
- help to move people along in the cultivation process to major gift level of $5,000 plus.
3. Member Communications
- Manages member communications with Communications team, including responding to member inquiries and the production and inventory of membership and marketing material e.g. letters, newsletters, annual report, e-bulletins and brochures.
4. Membership and Outreach Events
- Recruit and maintain sponsors for new and existing events, including the annual Riverkeeper Sweep, a day of service for the Hudson River;
- assist Community Outreach and Volunteer Manager in planning the annual Riverkeeper Sweep;
- generate invitation lists based on donor database research, with Membership Services Manager.
- manage third-party relationships with event organizers, venues and service providers;
- market events effectively to ensure attendance and/or revenue goals are met;
- actively recruit and steward small businesses for Riverkeeper’s small business program;
- plan for acknowledgment and cultivation follow-up; and,
- assist in maintenance of outreach event calendar, with Community Outreach and Volunteer Manager and attend outreach events when needed.
- Develops annual membership operating budget for approval and monitors income & expenses on a monthly basis, in consultation with the Community Outreach and Volunteer Manager.
- Manage outside relationships to provide opportunities for employee giving via EarthShare New York.
- Works with members of the Board of Trustees and Development Committee to cultivate Riverkeeper’s members and further the development of the membership program.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or higher preferred.
- Ability to thrive in an environment that is fast-paced, deadline-driven and collaborative.
Minimum of five years’ experience with donor acquisition, cultivation, retention and recognition, using direct mail, email and social media.
- Deep understanding of analytics, direct mail and donor retention strategies.
- Proven success in producing strong fundraising and cultivation events both large scale (250 people or more) and small scale.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to present information in a variety of formats.
- Experience using a database to mine useful results relevant to the task of acquiring, retaining and cultivating donors.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve problems with grace and diplomacy.
- Ability to keep track of the overall picture while maintaining accuracy and attention to
detail in a variety of situations.
- Ability to work well independently and creatively within a team environment.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to complete projects accurately and completely within deadlines.
- Excellent computer skills including experience with Microsoft Excel, Donor Perfect or comparable donor database a must.
- Previous experience at an environmental organization a plus.
Hours and Compensation:
This position is fulltime at 40 hours per week with benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Location: Ossining, NY
To Apply: Please send cover letter, writing sample and resume to Anna Bauman firstname.lastname@example.org with “Membership Manager” as the subject line. No phone calls please.