Riverkeeper, New York’s water quality advocate, has an immediate opportunity to join the management team at a dynamic phase in the growth of our organization. Over the last four years, Riverkeeper’s budget and staff team has grown by over half, due in significant part to our growing communications program. Riverkeeper has created a new position — the Director of Communications — to extend and increase its media reach and to establish new relationships, both at the grassroots level and with potential business partners, as we approach our 50th anniversary in 2016.
Position Summary: The Communications Director will work with senior leadership and communications staff to plan and execute all communications and marketing efforts. S/he will focus on devising, implementing, and managing Riverkeeper’s internal and external communications and marketing while ensuring consistent, high quality communications and marketing content organization wide. The Communications Director will be a member of the Riverkeeper senior staff reporting to the President.
- Design and implement a sophisticated communications strategy to ensure consistent, high quality, engaging messaging both internally and externally;
- Develop and implement public outreach and media relations strategies to advance Riverkeeper’s advocacy work and enhance its visibility, image, and influence;
- Manage media and public relations, including securing earned media and building social media;
- Create content for and ensure that all publications, communications and marketing materials produced by Riverkeeper are professional, engaging, well written, and appropriate for target audiences.
- Develop and execute strategic plans for communications and marketing, for the five year period beginning in 2016, and for Riverkeeper’s 50th Anniversary [also in 2016];
- Balance the development and implementation of an overall communications strategy for the organization with the need to produce written content, often on a deadline and often in collaboration with others on staff and from partner organizations;
- Work in partnership with the President, staff, and other stakeholders to represent Riverkeeper with key external relationships;
- Partner with the Development Team to ensure fundraising appeals are consistent with Riverkeeper’s messaging and branding;
- Assist in promoting Riverkeeper events to maximize connections with target audiences, assure effective materials and signage, build the volunteer and membership bases, etc.;
- Lead Communication Team, generating a range of ideas for communications, marketing tactics, and evaluation measures and enabling the team to reach agreed-upon goals;
- Participate in staff meetings, board meetings, and other organizational activities, as needed.
- Five or more years of professional work experience in the areas of communications and/or marketing;
- Experience managing communications and marketing functions such as messaging, brand management, collateral materials, social media, and website development;
- Exceptional track record working effectively with the media, including demonstrated success in pitching and placing news articles, profiles, and opinion pieces in local and national newspapers, TV, radio, and Internet;
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with diverse constituents including staff, board members, and supporters;
- Proven skill in creating and implementing communications/marketing plans, including strategies for immediate and longterm growth;
- Ability to coach and support senior leaders to be effective spokespeople for Riverkeeper;
- Experience supervising staff/volunteers/interns, and experience with group facilitation and meeting management.
Skills and Attributes
- Positive, cando attitude, mature interpersonal style, and sense of humor;
- Understanding of and connections with national media landscape and environmental issues
- Interest in and capacity to become well versed in Riverkeeper’s mission and work;
- Demonstrated ability to manage sensitive information and conduct daily activities with the utmost professionalism and integrity;
- Proficiency in communications software and tools such as the Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, WordPress (or other CMS), Google AdWords and a comfort level communicating through social media channels such at Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Strong personal work ethic and ability to organize time, manage diverse activities, and meet critical deadlines;
- Ability to work effectively with people at all levels of the organization, including staff, consultants, colleagues, volunteers, members/constituents, and the general public;
- Ability to remain calm under pressure and to work well as a dedicated member of a dynamic team.
Hours and Compensation: This position is full-time at 40 hours per week with full benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Location: Riverkeeper is located in Ossining, New York, on Metro-North train line.
Reports to: President & Hudson Riverkeeper Paul Gallay
To Apply: Please send, by email only, a cover letter, three relevant writing samples and a resume to Sara Lupson at email@example.com with “Director of Communications” as the subject line. Submission deadline is November 23rd.